Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Steamboat Springs

Have you ever had the feeling that you really needed to get out of town for a few days?  One evening about two weeks back Eric and I came to that conclusion so we booked a condo and made plans to head up to Steamboat Springs with the whole family to share the Memorial Day and our Anniversary weekend with them.  We had a blast and now it's back to the real world (insert sigh).

On Saturday, we stopped by downtown Steamboat for a little festival where we learned about some birds and butterflies.  Here are the girls by the Yampa River.
We had to go back downtown when we learned about Winona's restaurant/bakery where they sell the best and hugest cinnamon rolls we have ever had (sorry but they beat even the local best with to die for frosting).
Then we headed up to Strawberry Hot Springs that's beautifully nestled in aspen and pine trees and doesn't smell of sulphur.  The water was warm and inviting with a cold stream also running through if you needed a little cold dip.  Everyone but me were adventurous in the cold water but I probably could have fallen asleep in the hot springs.
  
Saturday evening Melissa watched the kids (it's almost like we have a live-in nanny!) and Eric and I went downtown to dinner to celebrate our 12th anniversary.  I can't believe how fast twelve years have come and gone but they've been good ones and we look forward to many more.  Sunday we found a local ward that was almost all visitors including some from our Southlands ward--we weren't the only ones with a great idea for the weekend :)  We went for a little family walk in the afternoon up to Fish Creek Falls which is supposedly one of the best waterfalls in Colorado.  It was pretty and the girls loved the short walk, okay I really liked it for them as the whining wasn't as much as normal. 
Monday, our last day away, I tried to summit Steamboat Springs mountain on a little run but couldn't find a trail that would get me up to the top but I made it past the first ski lift stop and the view was great.  The view from our condo up the mountain and out at the valley.
We had to get one more round of cinnamon rolls before leaving and then headed up to the alpine slides where Elizabeth put us all to shame with her speed.
Our Cowgirls (no I didn't buy the hats)
 
The Chair Lift
The now professional alpine sliders
 
We really enjoyed our weekend away as a family sightseeing, playing card games, swimming at the condo pool, watching movies, and spending good time with one another.  Until our next family adventure!

No comments: