Sunday, May 20, 2012

More Sewing Madness

One great thing about having my sister Melissa live with us is she gives me the motivation I often need to do crafty things.  We really aren't crafty by nature but we like skirts and it's hard to find ones that fit just right and our sewing skills are elementary enough that we tried our hands at making more.  Here's the vertical panel one Melissa made (can I just say Hobby Lobby is the best place to get cute fabric?).  This is where we got the idea and "pattern"/general measurements.



And here is the horizontal fabric strip skirt I made for Rachel from flannel scraps and myself again material from Hobby Lobby.  Pattern found here.
I never thought in my younger years that I would voluntarily sit down to sew at a machine but for those of you out there who are intimidated by your sewing machine, know it can be conquered.  I started with easy and very forgivable baby rag quilts five years ago and have learned bit by bit since then letting my machine sit dormant for long stretches of time.   The only thing I've actually bought a pattern for was flannel pajama pants and I needed my mom's help to interpret the language on it.  I love the bloggers out there (no I'm not on pinterest yet as I think it would be too addicting) that have put readable step-by-step instructions out there for novices like me to take fabric and make beautiful things, or at least beautiful in my eyes, just don't look too close for uneven seams :)  I must say, it's a great feeling to create something and then be able to wear it!

No comments: