Monday, May 19, 2008

Mountains

One reason why we were so excited to move to Colorado was to be close to the mountains. We probably live the furthest from the mountains that you can be in the Denver metropolitan area, seriously bordering on the prairie that runs all the way into Kansas. That said, it only took us a little over an hour to get up into the mountains at Golden Gate State Park, not to be confused with Golden Gate Park in San Francisco. I guess the area had a little gold rush of its own a long time ago and was named the richest square mile of earth at one point. Another history lesson I learned, back during prohibition the area had lots of distilleries to make moonshine to cart down to Denver.

Anyway, Saturday we made the trek up there and took the girls on a little hike. It was so nice to smell pine and hike a real mountain, only a mile or so up but it still felt good. I would love to go backpacking sometime next year and get away from cars and civilization as you could hear all the motorcycles still. I'll just live through my husband doing that this summer. Here are some pictures.

The girls eating lunch before the hike.


2 comments:

babisabl said...

great photos!!! where are they taken exactly? thx a lot
Babis,GREECE

Eric said...

They were taken at Kriley Pond in Golden Gate Park in Golden, Colorado. It's just northwest of Denver. Thanks for the comment.