Sunday, October 25, 2015

A Little Sisterly Love

This past week I was able to take a trip back east to visit my baby sister Melissa (I know she's not a baby anymore but I use it for reference sake) who is in the nursing program at Johns Hopkins.  We were able to explore Baltimore and parts of Virginia and it was a great week.  Here comes a lot of pictures and I'm sure Melissa has more incriminating pictures of me but as this is my blog, I have the decisive vote on what gets posted :)

I almost missed my plane as security lines were the longest I'd ever seen at DIA 5am on a Monday morning notwithstanding. I ran to my gate and barely made it.  Our first stop once I landed in Baltimore was food.  I like food and I'm not ashamed of it!  We ate at the Paper Moon and the decorations in one word would be eclectic.  Think all of your grandma's collectibles on steroids.  There were baby doll heads in jars, old board games and other paraphernalia nailed up on the walls.  A few window displays of pez containers.  You name it, it was probably there and I am sad to report  this is the only picture I took of it as I felt self-conscious taking pictures inside.


Of course I wasn't too self-conscious to take pictures of our "brunch" foods--Custard french toast and quesadillas.

After food and nap, I mean priorities right? Melissa showed me her second home of Johns Hopkins medical school and hospital where yes, I rubbed Jesus' toe for luck (it is a thing I did not make up).


We then went for Baltimore views--inner harbor skyline.
 
 Twilight view of downtown from Melissa's row home.

Bright and early the next morning we braved DC traffic (always a nightmare) and drove straight through to western Virginia and Shenandoah National Park to hike Old Rag trail.  Our lovely before picture getting ready to hike the 8.8 mile circuit.

 Near the top, you have to traverse many rock obstacles like this one.  Despite many awkward positions this requires of the body, it was quite fun (speaking for myself, you'd have to ask Melissa if she agrees).

 I was just hoping the rock stuck in the middle of the trail wouldn't dislodge while I was underneath.  I am still here writing so obviously made it through the passageway safely.
 Melissa trying to push the boulder out of the way.
 I am Atlas holding up the world.

The view from the top.  I'm not used to mountain tops having trees on them but the trees and color were beautiful.

 I made Melissa do this warrior pose.  Our attempt at the extreme yoga poses I see on the Internet.

 I don't know if she meant to take my picture like this but I like it and no I am not leaning, the camera is.
 Proof that yes, we were officially at the top of Old Rag.


 The trail was a loop and going down the other way meant no rocks to scramble over and we had beautiful things to hike through like this river.

 After our hike we headed to our B&B in Luray just outside the park.  After a much needed shower, we ate at a speakeasy at this hotel.  Entrance to the restaurant is downstairs and to the left.

 Mayneview B&B in Luray where we spent the night.
Sitting Room
 Dining Room
 Our room

Now to Wednesday when we were ready to drive Skyline Drive in Shenandoah and on our way we saw a bear!  I didn't know if Melissa was teasing me when I exclaimed "A Bear!" as it crossed the road right in front of us and she exclaimed back "A Bear!" but I think it was the first one she saw in the wild and was somewhat excited about the sighting.

 Sister selfie in front of fall foliage.

Look, a dead tree! (inside joke) but good views behind as we drove down Skyline Drive in Shenandoah National Park.



 For some reason the colors seem to pop more while wearing sunglasses (#filter) and I tried some filters on my phone to get the same result but to no avail.  Here is what the road Skyline Drive looks like.


The following was all my idea and I claim full responsibility for the ensuing silliness.  I thought it would be fun to toss leaves and take pictures of the process and lovingly only decided to post the best ones.  Yes, I'm a child at heart at times.




After bidding Shenandoah adieu, we headed towards Richmond and stopped off at Jefferson's home at Monticello.  Tasting the local brew, root beer of course and I think Eric would have liked the taste as he is now somewhat of a root beer aficionado.


Our new BFF, Tom (Lighting wasn't the best obviously).

The house


 This flower was called "Love Lies Bleeding" and we just had to take a picture of it.

 Have I mentioned I just love fall colors?


 Jefferson's tomb.

After Monticello we hit Richmond for the night and next day.  Our evening wanderings took us down to the canal and state capitol.

Downtown Richmond from the canal.  Downtown is pretty dead after 5pm but at least we felt safe.  The hotel clerk looked at me kind of funny when I asked if was safe to walk around at night.  When I said we were coming from Baltimore she said, Richmond used to be Baltimore but isn't anymore.




There was a section of murals and this was my personal favorite.




The next morning, we toured the Civil War museum and Melissa made buds with Abraham Lincoln.

 The American Civil War Museum was on the grounds of the Tredegar Mill where they made lots of ammunition.  The 1st building pictured is an National Park Service building showing the history of the mill/factory and the second building is the Civil War Museum.  I thought it did a good job showing that the Civil War was ultimately about slavery and different viewpoints from north and south, slave and soldier as well as detailing the historical events.



We went on a segway tour of Richmond and even though we had already seen most of the historical stops beforehand on our walks, being on a segway was pretty awesome.  They were easier to handle than I thought and I didn't fall off!  The tour guide said China had just bought all the patents and rights to the Segway so maybe it will revolutionize transportation, at least in China.  Here we are standing in front of Virginia's state capitol building building which is really brick painted over in white to be like the White House.

Melissa in front of the 2nd longest occupied executive residence in the nation. 

Lindon Row Inn was our downtown inn while staying the night in Richmond.
 Bye-bye Richmond, it was fun!

We didn't anticipate stopping in Annapolis but GPS and circumstances led us to Maryland's capitol Thursday evening where we walked the grounds of the nation's oldest capitol building.

Thurgood Marshall is a big deal in Maryland as a memorial was found here at the state capitol and then again at the Baltimore airport.  Thurgood Marshall was a lawyer in Brown v. Board of Education  case and the first African American Supreme Court Justice.
 The Annapolis Harbor at dusk

 Since it was perfect lighting we tried taking some pictures in the quest to find the perfect Facebook profile pic because we know what's important in documenting a trip!
 View of Annapolis from the Harbor.

Friday morning before my flight, I decided I had to visit Baltimore's main historical attraction--Fort McHenry.  So far in our trip we had covered a little of the Revolutionary War & Civil War histories so why not the War of 1812 which I know little of?  We toured the grounds of Fort McHenry dutifully trying to outpace the swarms of children (dare I say annoying) on fieldtrips there.  Oh what a difference of perspectives as I would most likely be one of the chaperones of those lovely students on another day.


Tempting though it was to keep her there, I did let Melissa out of the holding cell.




Well folks, that's all until our next sister adventure which will probably involve a beach and hopefully all of our sisters as we missed you Theresa & Tricia!

No comments: