With my 39th birthday behind me and looking ahead to age 40 and mid-life, I thought I would compile a list of things to do before 40 with full anticipation of rolling a majority over to the list before 50 but will endeavor to work on it. Recently I haven’t been one to set goals or resolutions at the start of the year but I’m realizing I should probably be more pro-active about setting some direction of what I want to accomplish in life. In no particular order here is my 40 Before 40 list:
- Do a Century Bike Ride: I have signed up for one in September that I now need to train for (after tax season of course and weather pending)
- Hike a new 14er: There are many here in Colorado that are accessible and I have some very willing hiking companions to go with so hopefully I can take my girls up to a new one as we have already hike Mt Biestadt, Grays, and Torreys.
- Publish e-book/seminar: My sister Theresa has a great thriving business with her wife providing teacher tools and handouts that I would like to find a way to publish something related to my industry of taxes/accounting/finance. I don’t claim to be a writer but want to help people understand at least some of the complexities of tax law.
- Travel to a new country/state: I have very specific places on this list so this one is more broad, maybe stay a little more in country and go to Oregon, Texas, or someplace like that.
- Read the book “Team of Rivals”: A great book about Abraham Lincoln that’s thick and just sitting on my bedroom floor that I picked up earlier but only got 30 pages in. I’m hoping it will shed some light on how politics can be done in a better fashion that our current situation.
- Finish 30 Day Pushup Challenge: I have a 30 day pushup challenge paper on my fridge with the intention of building a little more upper body strength. I think I’ve gotten up to day 10 before as I always forget to get back on the bandwagon after rest days. Build a little muscle, finish the challenge!
- Make something creative with my hands: Maybe I’ll pick up a new cross-stitch pattern to feel productive while watching TV (help with #13) or paint furniture. This one is open for interpretation.
- Stay up one night and stargaze: My family just laughed at this one because I fall asleep most nights before 10:30pm and struggle to stay up for any reason. We’ll have to plan a special trip as a family to go somewhere in the mountains without light pollution and take a big nap before or after to make it happen!
- Practice Conversational Spanish: I took four years of Spanish in high school and one year in college but feel totally inept to speak any Spanish. When I went to Mexico last year I realized even more how tongue tied I feel and should probably develop this skill for future travelling possibilities.
- New Volunteer Activity: Another very broad to-do with so many opportunities. I hope to be able to include my family in this one.
- Attend a New Music Concert: Is it sad to say my first rock music concert experience was only a few years ago? Thanks to Eric, my horizons have been expanded and we’ve been to many wonderful venues like Red Rocks Amphitheatre, Fiddlers Green, and the Pepsi Center. I think we have ideas for an outdoor concert this summer.
- Skydive: My sister Melissa said to put this one on. I’ve done indoor skydiving, does this count? I need to get over my fear of heights and balking at the price involved and just do it!
- Watch top 250 IMDB movies not rated R: Okay I’m not totally prudish as there are a few R movies that I have seen and would re-watch. Looking at the top 50-100 I’ve seen many but a few anime and older ones I’ll have to watch to expand my horizons.
- Complete my will: I think Eric and I have gotten halfway there with a will, he bought the service for us to use and we’ve looked at it, filling a few things out. Can’t leave anything to chance as 40 sounds young, who knows what could happen to us?
- Get a facial and dress-up for a fun event: We don’t really have many opportunities to dress-up but my sister’s wedding last month inspired me. She got a full facial and man it looked good! I’m wondering if someone can work magic on my face like that.
- Scuba Dive: Much like #12, others added this to my list. I need to get over my claustrophobia and balking at the price involved. I keep saying snorkeling is more my speed but those that have scuba dived have said it was amazing.
- Shoot a Gun: 2nd amendment, right? Something to try at least once. Doubt I’ll become a gun-toting, NRA card carrying member but it’s all about experiencing new things.
- Paintball: My Army brother would rock at this, maybe we should get together and paint the other team.
- Escape Room: They’re all the rage and I haven’t done one. I should probably experience it before the places start shutting down with the fad fading.
- Visit a new National Park: I love our National Parks and the diversity of beauty we have seen in many that we have visited so far. I’m also grateful to have many close by and hope to visit either the Black Canyon of the Gunnison, Arches, or Canyonlands this year.
- Visit new CO State Park: Our state also has a great selection of state parks and we’ve been able to visit the ones within an hour’s drive multiple times. Many more to explore with our state parks pass!
- Cook a fancy meal for my family: I don’t think my cooking is all that creative or tasty but I should try something fancy.
- Cirque du Soleil/Las Vegas show: I’m not really a fan of the whole Vegas scene but I’ve heard Cirque du Soleil is a show worth watching and I know they come to Denver occasionally.
- Visit a new temple: Over 150 to choose from. I’ve seen many from the outside but I need to make it a point to go inside one I haven’t been to before. More traveling!
- Paddle Boarding: This is another one where I say kayaking is more my speed but everyone says balancing on a paddle board isn’t that hard. I should just head over to the Aurora Reservoir and rent one.
- Tube down the river in Steamboat Springs: This one sounds very specific but I remember tubing down the Provo River with friends in college and loving it (although if memory serves right someone tipped over and almost drowned, yikes). We went to Steamboat Springs a few years ago and I absolutely loved the area but we went before it was warm enough to tube.
- Bicycle in Italy: I’ve seen/heard from a couple people that have done bike tours in northern Italy and it just sounds so cool. Granted I’ve never even set foot on the continent of Europe but Italy is top on that list and maybe not even the big cities full of history.
- White water raft Brown’s Canyon or any category 4 or 5 rapids: We have some great white water rafting opportunities here in Colorado and the ones I have done have mostly been with the family so ranging between a family float to 2s and 3s.
- Costa Rica: I have seen pictures and heard from people that went and just love the beauty and diversity. On my list for our 20th anniversary trip.
- Hike Sky Pond in RMNP: Another adventure that someone showed me a picture of and I decided I wanted to go there. My girls and I have been on part of the trail that leads to Sky Pond but have gone different directions on it. Hopefully this summer with my dad and older girls.
- 30 day thankful journal - NOT in November: As you can see I have gotten out of the habit of journal writing and Eric says thankful journal writing is a very useful tool in developing gratitude and overall happiness. I’m not one to do it because everyone else is doing it (hence the not in November/around Thanksgiving time clause) but truly want to see all the things that are good in my life to be grateful for and express it on paper or digitally.
- Give blood: Is it sad to say that I don’t think I have ever given blood before? My dad did all the time because his blood was either rare or universal donor, can’t remember which. I need to get over any fear of needles and save a life with my blood.
- Learn guitar more: Eric got me a guitar for my birthday last year and I started to pluck at it but didn’t get to too many chords before putting it back under my bed.
- Multi-night backpacking trip: I’ve only done short overnight backpacking trips and should try a multi-night one just accepting the fact that I won’t sleep and will be grumpy but oh the nature you can see!
- Learn organ: I say I want to be like my mother-in-law Pat who refused to learn the organ until she was in her sixties and called as ward organist. Stubborn, it’s my middle name and I should just sign up for a class or something and learn the organ.
- Yosemite - Half Dome with my girls: I remember loving the hike to Half Dome as a youth and did it a few times with my dad. It’s a long day and quarter dome’s a killer but the experience of holding onto a chain to go up Half Dome and the views are unforgettable. I would love my girls to have those memories too, need to get them training!
- Learn More Photography: Even with my DSLR I am a point and shoot type of person. I have some great pictures just because the scene was good but I’m sure I could get even better ones in our travels!
- Plant something new in the garden: We’ve been talking about trying out some raspberries since Eric’s family is from Bear Lake which is known for raspberries. Need to get some starts from someone and try it out.
- Croatia: I don’t know many people that have this on their list of places to travel to but I saw pictures of waterfalls, lakes, and more that had me drooling. I can’t say no to waterfalls and a tax client of mine lives over there most of the year and may be able to give inside knowledge to traveling.
- Learn something new in the field of investing/personal finance/accounting: Ever since I was a 6th grader running my own candy store, finances and investing have been a passion. Right now taxes are my schtick but I need to expand more to be better both professionally and personally. Very broad but I have all off-tax season time to work on it.

No comments:
Post a Comment