Friday, August 12, 2016

For the Beauty of the Earth

One reason why we moved to Colorado 8 1/2 years ago was because Eric and I are mountain people.  This does not mean we want to go off grid and hunt elk/moose and live in a cave but rather we love the grandeur and majesty of the mountains, not to mention they're a great way to get out of the Denver heat in the summer.  Whenever I drive up Highway 285 I'm immediately in my happy place seeing pine trees and mountain cliffs.  As with the previous two summers, I had a theme for the girl's summer break and it was "Explore Colorado."  We kicked off the summer going south to Alamosa and the Great Sand Dunes and then mid-July we decided to head kind of southwest to Ouray.

All I knew about Ouray is that I overheard a conversation once with strangers that it was beautiful so I was sold on just that.  Ouray is coined the Switzerland of America as it's a small town nestled in the mountains reminiscent of the Alps.  I looked around for housing options as I love doing VRBO rentals and found one in nearby Ridgway for three nights and we were off.

Our first stop "on the way", I put quotation marks because everything I really wanted to do seemed to be on the way to or from Ouray, was Salida for river rafting.  I'm hoping this is an annual tradition as we did river rafting last year as well now that the girls are old enough to do it.  We left home Wednesday night July 13 and drove the three hours to Salida and stayed in a hotel overnight.

Before bed we stretched out our legs and found this on a little walk from our hotel, love irrigation ditches and creeks.

And the girls couldn't get enough of the bear

First thing in the morning we conquered the Arkansas River.  The water level was a lot lower than last year so it was more of a family float with a few hours so upside it took longer than last year but downside the rapids weren't as good and no rock and eddy area to jump into as we did a different section.  Everyone still had fun and we're glad we did it. These are after pictures enjoying a picnic lunch by the river.


 Even the drive from Salida to Ouray, although not my normal definition of mountain beauty, was full of unique beauty.
 We got to Ridgway and our home for the next few days.  This is what greeted us in the family room and I could just stare out it all day (and night).  One early morning I even saw a deer staring back at me on the other side which was kind of cool.

 Deer all over the neighborhood.
 We were just on the ground floor but it was a very spacious home/cabin.
Friday morning we drove to Ouray and then on the Million Dollar Highway.  It is unknown where exactly the name Million Dollar Highway came from but its views were definitely worth that much and of course pictures don't do it justice.  Thankfully Eric drove so I didn't have to freak out about heights and no safety rails.

Our first stop and there must have been a rock slide at some point because I'm pretty sure that sign in the first picture did not belong at the bottom of the valley (2nd picture is zoomed out).

 Not a bad view if you have to stop for road dconstruction.

 I saw a waterfall cascade just off the highway and wanted to get a closer look so we parked and tried finding a trail and then started walking up the 4x4 road and encountered this waterfall plus the cascade.
 I wish I could describe how happy this view made me, it really was breathtaking in person.
 Tried to take some fun pictures with the girls.  Stubborn Rachel must have been really tired because she refused to walk another 100 feet to come with us to the waterfall.

 And the couple shot.
 Seeing all the aspens intermingled with the pines makes me want to come back in fall for brilliant yellows included in this shot.
 Red mountains, more magnificent color when clouds aren't overshadowing.  The red is natural but whatever byproduct comes from the mining done over the years is not.
We quickly drove through Silverton and headed back to Ouray and stopped off in Box Canyon Falls.  It's a pretty incredible natural falls just carving through the rock.




A panorama of Ouray from Box Canyon Falls

After exploring we were a little warm so we stopped by downtown Ridgway for a dip in the Uncompahgre River (and yes we needed to ask how to pronounce it) but have no pictures so did it really happen :) ?

Saturday was the activity that I think became the highlight of the trip for everyone.  On our drive on the million dollar highway I realized just how much this area is known for its off-roading 4x4 trails through the mountains.  Sadly we don't own a nice 4 wheel drive vehicle (our van just doesn't cut it) but I had booked a Jeep tour up to Silver Basin.  Our "jeep" was really a Durango with nice heated bucket seats in the back and made for a comfy ride up some crazy roads.  The views were absolutely amazing and I couldn't get enough of all the ways water can be beautiful in nature--waterfalls, cascades, lakes, ponds, snow, etc.  If I ever became a photographer, I might have to visit all the world's greatest waterfalls.

An old miners camp
Our ride

 First waterfall


 Alpine lake
 View from the other side
 Yes, we were there as a family
 Water!
 After we finished Silver Basin we headed over to Yankee Boy and got to see a group that was a sure win for the Darwin Award.  All signs for the road strictly stated high clearance 4 wheel drive needed for the road and we saw an Econoline stuck in a ravine and they had to elevate the wheels with a lot of rocks and remove the hitch to finally get it out.  This was a well traveled and popular road so traffic on both sides and tour guides were not happy.  We made it to Yankee Boy though and got it more views.

 Our lovely state flower, the columbine.




Can we just say it was amazing and leave it at that?  Next up after our ride was the Ouray hot springs.  Thankfully some of the pool was normal temperature since it was pretty warm outside but we had fun on the obstacle course and going between the 80 and 94 degree pools.  I don't think you can swim with more beautiful surroundings (although Strawberry Hot Springs in Steamboat comes close).


Sunday sadly we had to pack up and leave the beautiful Ouray area but not without a final goodbye to the awesome San Juan mountain line and a little stop at Ridgway State Park.


Our trip was not over, no way, we had to make two more stops "on the way home."  Eric had a doctor's appointment in Vail Monday afternoon with a world-renowned knee specialist so we went back home through Glenwood Springs and spent the night.  Bright and early Monday morning we hiked Hanging Lake which has been on my bucket list for awhile and it lived up to everything I had heard about it.  I don't think I would be lying if I said this is the most beautiful hike I've been on in Colorado but check it out for yourself and decide.

The valley
 The Lake
 The cascades all along the trail route

 Spouting Rock just above the lake

And the best part?  We did it as a whole family!  No words can describe how it felt to see Eric able to hike without excruciating knee pain.  The lady that took this picture said it was Christmas card worthy and I say yes.
Now we're up to the last stop, Vail.  I love to go to ski towns in the summer because they are generally less crowded and there's no snow to contend with.  Even in the summer and my first time actually in the city of Vail, I felt a little intimidated by the roads and people walking/riding bikes everywhere.  We did manage to find a place to park for free and eat a picnic lunch before Eric went to his appointment and I took the girls to the Betty Ford Botanical gardens (also free).  I took the first few pictures and then Rachel wanted a try at the camera.











Yes vacation can be fun but also tiring.  It's great to be home and in my own bed but man, we saw some beautiful things and can't wait to go out adventuring again!

No comments: