Sunday, February 04, 2007

Do As I'm Doing...

I'd like to talk about my trip to California, but I can't make a post without including some pictures or a video. Our daughters are finally getting old enough that they can somewhat play with each other. Here is Elizabeth tonight in her ultra-hyper stage when she's really tired and about to go to bed (I know, it makes no sense, they get hyper when they're tired).



Now, on to the boring stuff. I went to California a couple of weeks ago for a training course at UCLA. I had actually never been to UCLA. It was good to go back to LA again...in some ways. First of all, the whole time I was growing up there was this hotel shaped like a cylinder right off the 405 by the Sepulveda pass that I always wanted to stay at. It turns out that my work put me up there (the less expensive hotels in the area were booked), so that was pretty cool, although the room wasn't really that nice (but I had to pay an arm and a leg for valet parking). Oh, I also got a first class seat from Dallas Fort Worth because we booked the travel so late.

The course was interesting, it was taught by a Scotsman. But nobody is interested in hearing about that. I did take advantage of the opportunity to visit a lot of family and friends (and In-N-Out). I saw my in-laws (yes, of my own free will and volition I visited my in-laws...it's nice when you like your wife's family :-), and they actually fed me dinner. It was really weird being in Simi again. I drove by my old house that I grew up in and I think the saying is true, you can't go home again (maybe that's why they called the cops when I walked in the front door and went to my room).

I also took a trip out to see my brother in Corona. Turns out it took me 3 hours to drive 60 miles (and only one hour back). You know what makes that even worse? There weren't even any accidents. That's just normal traffic! Honestly, I don't know how people live like that. The traffic alone is enough to make me never move back there again (although the weather is great). But it was nice to see my brother and get some good backpacking tips from him.

I also went to the temple. To be honest, that was the one thing, other than seeing family and friends, that created nostalgia for me. It was really a strong sense of nostalgia too. That's where I got married. That's the first temple I visited. I remember youth trips there and personal trips and it is just a beautiful place. My course was less two miles away.

It turns out that three of my best friends from my freshman year in college all live in LA or Pasadena now. For those who don't know me well, my freshman year was a great time in which I made some great friends and really blossomed. It was great seeing Hansen, Larry and Steve again. It really reminded me of a more care-free time of my life. Of course I absolutely love my family and the way things have turned out, but it was nice to be reminded a little of my past.

Okay, I've shared way too much. So it's time for my wife to spill her guts. She has some major news also.

(The Wife) No, I am not pregnant. My major news is my new calling at church--Primary President. Our ward combined with another ward so we have a lot of kids, 81 on my rolls not including nursery and a pretty small room to work in. Today was my first shot at sharing time and the kids actually cooperated with me which was nice. In junior primary it was my own daughter that was having a hard time sitting in her chair and behaving. On her behalf, she is the youngest one in Primary and I think the transition from nursery has been a difficult one. Now that I'm in Primary, I bid Cub Scouts adieu as they go into more capable hands with a full suite of leaders that know what they're doing. I'm excited for the program to work like it should and oversee it from Primary's perspective.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Alicia - welcome to the Primary President club! I've been in almost a year and our Primary is enormous also. Give me a call if you ever feel like whining about it. You sound like you have a great attitude, though! Good luck! Ü
With love, Helene